CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – Harvard women's tennis returned to action on Sunday with a convincing 7-0 shutout of Boston University at the Murr Center Tennis Courts. The Crimson (6-2, 0-0 Ivy) has now posted the best eight-match start since 2013-14, when it also started 6-2. Harvard also posted its second straight victory over its cross-town foe.
The Crimson started the match strong in doubles, earning victories on the second and third courts to earn the point. Irene Lu and Anna Li teamed up for the first time this season to pick up a decisive 6-1 win on the second court. Rachel Eason and Kayla Leschly's 7-5 win on court three gave Harvard a 1-0 lead heading into singles play.
The Crimson once again dominated on the singles courts, led by senior Jenna Friedel on Court 1. Friedel picked up where she left off at the ECAC Tournament, posting a 6-1, 4-6, 10-6 win over Erica Di Battista.
Eason and first-year Sophia Ho both posted straight-set victories of their own on the second and third courts, respectively. Senior Irene Lu's 50th career singles victory capped off the match and gave Harvard a 7-0 win.
- First-year Mihaela Marculescu earned her team-best 15th singles victory.
- Rachel Lim expanded her team lead in overall wins, posting her 24th of the season.
- Traci Green, The Sheila Kelly Palandjian Head Coach for Harvard Women's Tennis, is now just four victories away from her 150th as the leader of the Crimson.
- Harvard is now a combined 30-9 in singles action in dual-match-play.
- This is Harvard's third shutout of 2019-20.
- Marculescu and Eason share a team-best 6-1 mark in dual-match play.
Harvard will begin preparing for a pair of matches with Rhode Island and Hofstra on March 7 and 13, respectively.
Harvard – 7, Boston University – 0
- Jenna Friedel def. Erica Di Battista – 6-1, 4-6, 10-6
- Rachel Eason def. Shelly Yaloz – 6-2, 6-4
- Sophia Ho def. Emily Kim – 6-4, 6-3
- Mihaela Marculescu def. Lily Burchell – 6-2, 6-1
- Irene Lu def. Alex Angyalosy – 6-2, 6-3
- Rachel Lim def. Steph Nguyen – 6-1, 6-1