NEW YORK - Harvard women's tennis shined in the opening round of the ECAC Tournament, posting a 4-1 win over eighth-seeded Cornell. The Crimson will now take on the host team, Columbia, tomorrow afternoon at 2 p.m.
Harvard started off strong yet again, posting its third consecutive double point with wins in the first two pairings. Senior Jenna Friedel teamed up with Rachel Eason on the first doubles court to pick up an impressive 6-2 victory. Senior captain Natasha Gonzalez and Rachel Lim clinched the point for the Crimson with a 6-2 win of their own on the second doubles court.
Eason carried her strong play over to singles action, where she picked up the second point for Harvard after a 6-3, 6-4 win at the third pairing. Senior captain Lexi Milunovich made it 3-1 Harvard with her 6-2, 6-3 win on the sixth singles court.
First-year Mihaela Marculescu clinched the match for Harvard after her team-high 12th win of the season at the fourth pairing, 6-1, 6-3.
Harvard – 4, Cornell – 1
- Jenna Friedel vs Valerie Ho, 7-6, 2-1 unfinished*
- Maria Adiaconitei def. Sophia Ho, 6-0, 6-2
- Rachel Eason def. Fatima El Ashram, 6-3, 6-4
- Mihaela Marculescu def. Michelle Deng, 6-1, 6-3
- Rachel Lim vs Sarah Campbell, 6-4, 3-1 unfinished*
- Lexi Milunovich def. Khary Pryce, 6-2, 6-3
Order of Finish: 3-1-6-4
- Jenna Friedel/Rachel Eason def. Adiaconitei/Ho, 6-2
- Natasha Gonzalez/Rachel Lim def. Huang/Campbell, 6-2
- Mihaela Marculescu/Kayla Leschly vs El Ashram/Deng, 5-3 unfinished*
Order of Finish: 1-2-3