CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – In its final test before the ECAC tournament, Harvard women's tennis shined in a 4-0 win against UMass-Amherst. The Crimson (3-1, 0-0 Ivy) picked up a key win against its in-state foe to improve its record to 8-0 in the all-time series. It was also the second sweep in a row for Harvard, which blanked Fordham, 7-0, last weekend.
The action began on the doubles court, with a Kayla Leschly and Mihaela Marculescu victory at the second pairing. The first-year duo dominated their competition, winning 6-0. Once Rachel Lim and Natasha Gonzalez took care of business in the first pairing, with a 6-4 win, the Crimson took a 1-0 lead in the overall match.
Senior captain Lexi Milunovich was the star of the singles courts, taking down her opponent, 6-0, 6-0, at the fifth pairing to give Harvard a 2-0 lead. Fellow captain Natasha Gonzalez picked up a quick 6-1, 6-2 win on court six to stretch the Crimson advantage. It was first-year Sophia Ho, who clinched the match for Harvard, as she won her first career match at No. 1 in straight sets, 6-0, 6-2.
"Today we gained more important match experience and competed very well as a team." said Traci Green, the Sheila Kelly Palandjian Head Coach for Harvard Women's Tennis. "We look forward to building individual games this week in practice as we head into the three-day ECAC Tournament."
The win is Harvard's second in a row and sixth straight against opponents from the Atlantic-10 Conference.
- Natasha Gonzalez took sole possession of third place on the career wins list under The Sheila Kelly Palandjian Head Coach for Harvard Women's Tennis, Traci Green.
- Lexi Milunovich earned her second singles win of the season and 34th of her career.
- Sophia Ho's win brings her total to 11 on the season, tying fellow first-year Mihaela Marculescu for the team high.
- The doubles duo of Natasha Gonzalez and Rachel Lim paired up for the second time since the ITA Regional Championships, winning the match, 6-4, and bringing their season record to 4-1.
Harvard – 4, Massachusetts – 0
- Sophia Ho def. Anna Napadiy, 6-0, 6-2
- Rachel Eason vs Martina Bocchi, 6-4, 5-2 *Unfinished
- Mihaela Marculescu vs Jovana Bogicevic, 6-3, 4-3 *Unfinished
- Rachel Lim vs Ashley Avery, 6-2, 4-3 *Unfinished
- Lexi Milunovich def. Jasmine Tripathy, 6-0, 6-0
- Natasha Gonzalez def. Sarah Mezini, 6-1, 6-2
Order of Finish: 5-6-1
- Rachel Lim/Natasha Gonzalez def. Napadiy/Bocchi, 6-4
- Kayla Leschly/Mihaela Marculescu def. Avery/Bogicevic, 6-0
- Sophia Ho/Rachel Eason def. Mezini/Tripathy, 7-5
Order of Finish: 2-1-3