CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – Harvard wrestling is preparing for the EIWA Championships, which is scheduled for Friday and Saturday, March 6 and 7 at Lehigh University.
What To Know
• First-year Yaraslau Slavikouski was unanimously named the Ivy League Rookie of the Year and selected to the All-Ivy first team along with fellow first-year Philip Conigliaro, who also a unanimous selection.
• Nationally-ranked in their respective weight classes, the two Crimson wrestlers lead the team with 27 wins.
• Ranked ninth in the nation, Slavikouski enters the EIWA tournament as the top seed at heavy weight, while Conigliaro is the second seed at 165 pounds and senior Hunter Ladnier is fifth at 157 pounds.
• Senior Nolan Hellickson also secured the eighth seed in the 125-weight class, following a 3-3 mark in EIWA action.
• Ladnier has posted as 14-8 record, including a 7-6 mark in dual season and currently leads the Crimson, along with Conigliaro, with five major decisions this season. Additionally, he ended the season with a five-match win streak, following a 12-0 major decision against Brown's Jack Bokina on Feb. 22, 2020.
• Ladnier will be looking to cap off a successful four-year career with his second trip to the NCAA Championships after falling one victory shy as a sophomore in 2018.
At The Helm
Jay Weiss, The David G. Bunning '88 Head Coach for Harvard Wrestling, is in his 25th season at the helm of the program. The two-time EIWA Coach of the Year has a long history of coaching excellence on the mat and in classroom. Weiss has coached a pair of national champions, 17 EIWA champions and 19 All-Americans, while guiding his squad to the nation's top GPA in five of the last six years, including the last three seasons.