BOILING SPRINGS, N.C.- Harvard softball finished the weekend in North Carolina on a high note with a 19-0 win over N.C. Central.
The Crimson scored early and often and began the day scoring 13 runs in the first inning. The first inning highlight came when Morgan Melito hit a three-run homerun, her first of the season to make the score 12-0. Alyssa Saldana singled to drive in Trina Hoang and finish the inning up 13-0.
In the fourth inning Charlotte Ruhl drove in Teagan Shaw and Amerys Barshtak to stretch its lead to 17-0. Later in the inning Trina Hoang tripled to score Ruhl and Saldana doubled and drove in Hoang to cap the scoring at 19 runs for the Crimson.
- 10 different players had at least one hit in the 19-0 win over N.C. Central.
- Sophomore Trina Hoang led the team with four RBIs on the day while going three-for-three at the plate.
- First-year Marissa Zheng made her collegiate debut with one at bat.
- First-year Lindsay G. Poulos and senior Alissa Hiener combined to throw the first shutout of the season for the Crimson and only allowed two hits.
- Sophomore Charlotte Ruhl made her first appearance for Harvard, hitting a single and driving in one run.
- Sophomore Morgan Melito hit her first homerun of the season.
The Crimson heads west to Cal State Fullerton from Friday, March 13-15 to play in five games at the Easton Invitational.