FORT MYERS, Fla.- The Harvard softball team defeated UMass Lowell, 2-1 in nine innings and fell to Michigan State, 5-3, to go 1-1 on the first day of the Florida Gulf Coast Invitational.
In its season opener against Michigan State, the Crimson fell to the Spartans, 5-3. Michigan State took the lead a 3-0 in the bottom of the third but Harvard quickly answered.
In the top of the fourth, first-year Allison Heffley hit a one-out double. Sophomore Teagan Shaw then drove in Heffley with a single. First-year Kendall Jean added to the scoreboard, bringing Shaw home with a double to make the score 3-2.
In the top of the fifth, Heffley tied the game at 3-3 with a single to center, driving in Shaw. Harvard was edged by the Spartans in the later innings by a final of 5-3.
In game two against UMass Lowell, sophomore Trina Hoang led off the game with a walk. Hoang later scored on a wild pitch to give the Crimson the 1-0 lead. UMass Lowell scored in the seventh to extend the game into extra innings.
In the bottom of the ninth with one out, sophomore Mackenzie Tyler came on to pinch run for Brianna Hewitt. Tyler stole third and a throwing error allowed her to come around to score and secure the win over the River Hawks, 2-1.
- First-years Kendall Jean, Allison Heffley, Lindsay G. Poulos, Lauren Bobowski and Amerys Barshtak made their collegiate debuts.
- Jean and Heffley each had one RBI in game one against Michigan State.
- Poulos pitched six innings allowing only five hits in her first collegiate start against Michigan State.
- Sophomore Mackenzie Tyler scored the game winning run for the Crimson over UMass Lowell to help Harvard split games.
- Three different pitchers for the Crimson combined to hold the River Hawks to just one run on the day.
The Crimson returns to action tomorrow on day two of the Florida Gulf Coast Invitational to face Fordham at 9 a.m., followed by Southern Illinois at 11:15 a.m.