CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – Harvard softball hits the road to open its 2020 season with five games in Florida at the FGCU Spring Break Invitational. The tournament is scheduled to run from Friday, Feb. 21 to Sunday, Feb. 23.
The Crimson will take the field against Michigan State at 12:15 p.m. for its first game of the season on Friday. Harvard will then face UMass Lowell in its final game of the day at 2:30 p.m.
On day two of the tournament, the Crimson is set to play Fordham in the first game at 9 a.m. In its second contest of the doubleheader, Harvard goes up against Southern Illinois at 11:15 a.m.
In its final outing of the three-day event on Sunday, Harvard will play the hosts, Florida Gulf Coast, at 1:30 p.m. before heading back north.
What to Know
- Harvard was picked to finish third in the Ivy League Preseason Poll.
- The Crimson added seven first-years to the roster in the offseason.
- The Friday afternoon game with UMass Lowell will mark the two team's first meeting in series history.
- Harvard has only faced Southern Illinois and Florida Gulf Coast once in its history and dropped both games.
- The Crimson have never lost to Fordham, going a perfect 4-0 all time with their last meeting resulting in a 6-3 win in 1993.
At the Helm
The 2019 Ragatz Family Harvard Women's Coach of Excellence Jenny Allard enters her 26th season at the helm of the Crimson. She enters the season with a 635-473-3 overall record, including a 311-119-1 Ivy League mark. Under Allard, Harvard has won eight Ivy League titles, had six 30-win seasons, and made seven NCAA Championship appearances.
Harvard is back in action in Boiling Springs, North Carolina from Feb. 28 to March 1 at the Gardner Webb University Softball Tournament.