CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – For the second straight season, the Harvard men's squash team was crowned the CSA national champion. The Crimson dominated the No. 3 Penn Quakers in its final team contest of the season to win 6-1 and capture the Potter Cup.
Senior co-captain Sean Hughes was the first on the scoreboard, as he defeated his opponent 3-0 at the fifth position to put Harvard up 1-0. Ayush Menon followed suit with a 3-0 victory of his own. The first-year outscored his opponent, 33-17, to give the Crimson a 2-0 advantage. Marwan Tarek's win a the second spot gave the top-seeded Crimson a commanding 3-0 lead.
- Harvard successfully defended its national title to give the program its 27th Potter Cup.
- The Crimson completed its first back-to-back undefeated-season stretch since 1995-97.
- Harvard ends the season on a 33-match win streak and improves its home win streak to 19 matches.
- Samuel Scherl finishes the season with a team-best 32-match winning streak.
- The nation's top-ranked team posted a combined individual record of 136-5 throughout the 2019-20 season.
- Harvard improves its Potter Cup record to 22-8 under the leadership of Mike Way, Gregory Lee '87 and Russell Ball '88 Endowed Coach for Harvard University, James Herscot '58 Coach of Excellence.
The team will prepare for the individual national championships next weekend at Penn. Draws and information will be released later this week.
- Victor Crouin def. Andrew Douglas, 3-1 (11-6, 4-11, 11-5, 16-14)
- Marwan Tarek def. Aly Abou El Einen, 3-0 (11-9, 11-6, 11-2)
- Saadeldin Abouaish vs. James Flynn - DNP
- Samuel Scherl def. Dillon Huang, 3-1 (5-11, 11-1, 11-3, 11-2)
- Sean Hughes def. Yash Bhargava, 3-0 (11-6, 11-7, 11-4)
- Timothy Brownell vs David Yacobucci, 8-11, 10-12, 11-2, 7-8
- George Crowne vs. Saksham Choudhary - DNP
- Adam Corcoran def. Wil Hagen, 3-1 (12-10, 11-5, 7-11, 11-3)
- Ayush Menon def. Ryan Murray, 3-0 (11-6, 11-6, 11-5)