HARTFORD, Conn. – In a battle of the last two undefeated teams in the CSA, No. 1 Harvard men's squash took down No. 2 Trinity, 8-1. The Crimson (10-0, 4-0 Ivy) were tested top to bottom, but gutted out a key road victory in front of an active Trinity crowd. The win snapped a 51-match home win-streak for the Bantams, and marked Harvard's first win at Kellner Squash Center since 2014.
Marwan Tarek got the action started at the top of the order for the Crimson, giving his Trinity foe all he could handle, but falling 3-0 in a close match decided by only seven points total. The marathon match lasted 83 minutes, the longest bout of the season for Harvard.
Harvard did, however, get on the board first, as George Crowne earned a straight-set victory in which he outscored his opponent by a total of 33-8. Junior Samuel Scherl continued his team-best win streak with a 3-2 win, to give Harvard a 2-1 lead.
In the second wave of matches, co-captains Saadeldin Abouaish and Sean Hughes both defeated their opponents, 3-1 and 3-0, respectively, to push the Harvard lead to 4-1. Julien Gosset's impressive 3-2 come-from-behind victory at the seventh position clinched the match for the Crimson.
- Harvard snapped Trinity's 51-match home win streak on Wednesday to win its eighth-straight true road matchup.
- The Crimson's combined induvial record now sits at 87-3.
- Senior co-captain Sean Hughes registered his 50th win as a member of the Crimson.
- Junior Samuel Scherl extended his team-high win streak to 24 matches.
The Crimson will play host Brown on Friday at the Murr Center Squash Courts and then travels to Yale for a Sunday showdown with the Bulldogs. Two Harvard wins will clinch at least a share of the Ivy League title for the Crimson. Match times are slated for 6 p.m. and 1 p.m., respectively. Both matches will be streamed live on ESPN3.
Harvard 8, Trinity (Conn.) 1
1. TC- Miko Aijanen d. Marwan Tarek, 12-10, 15-13, 11-8
2. H- Victor Crouin d. Kush Kumar, 11-6, 11-8, 11-2
3. H- Saadeldin Abouaish d. Michael Craig, 11-6, 11-9, 3-11, 11-6
4. H- Samuel Scherl d. Thoboki Mohohlo, 7-11, 11-3, 11-0, 8-11, 11-5
5. H- Sean Hughes d. Ali El Touhky, 11-8, 15-13, 11-4
6. H- Timothy Brownell d. Andrew Lee, 12-10, 11-9, 11-8
7. H- George Crowne d. Ziad Sakr, 11-3, 11-2, 11-3
8. H- Adam Corcoran d. Aly Tolba, 11-5, 11-2, 11-4
9. H- Julien Gosset d. Aryaman Adik, 2-11, 2-11, 11-8, 11-5, 11-7