AMHERST, Mass. – Opening its 2020 campaign on the road, the Harvard men's lacrosse team (1-0) earned a 10-9 win over No. 19/RV Massachusetts (1-2) on Saturday afternoon at Garber Field.
Six Crimson players recorded goals in today's contest, led by Kyle Anderson, Austin Madronic and Nick Loring with two apiece. Isaiah Dawson, Frankie Tangredi and Kyle Salvatore all found the back of the net as well with one goal each. Kyle Mullin kicked off the season with 17 saves in net against the Minutemen.
Despite Massachusetts getting on the scoreboard first with an early goal, the Crimson responded with six-straight goals to jump out to a 6-1 lead at the end of the first half. The Minutemen came out of the half with two quick goals to make it 6-3, until Magno fired in the Crimson's seventh goal of the contest to extend Harvard's lead to four.
Massachusetts found momentum with a goal towards the end of the third quarter that carried on to two more tallies at the beginning of the fourth to cut its deficit to one at 7-6. The Crimson fought back with goals from Loring and Tangredi to push its advantage to 9-6.
Massachusetts went on a fourth quarter rally to tie the score at 9-9, before Loring fired in the game winning goal for the Crimson on an extra man opportunity to seal the 10-9 victory for Harvard.
- Kyle Anderson tallied a team-best five points with two goals and three assists.
- Beau Botkiss and Kyle Mullin led the Crimson with three groundballs each, while Botkiss tallied four caused turnovers.
- Kyle Mullin posted 17 saves against the Minutemen.
- Austin Madronic recorded a team-high five shots, while Kyle Anderson, Ryan Graff and Nick Loring each registered three.
- The Crimson is now 5-1 in its last six season openers, with two of those wins over Massachusetts.
Harvard will take a trip down to Worcester, Mass. to face Holy Cross for a midweek tilt on Tuesday, Feb. 25 at 5 p.m.