EAST LANSING, Mich. – Closing out its road trip out west, the Harvard men's tennis team (7-1) earned a 4-1 dual match win over Michigan State this Sunday afternoon, Feb. 11. The Crimson improves its all-time series with the Spartans to 4-1, and brings its overall record to 7-1, its best start to a season since 2012.
Harvard took the doubles point for the seventh time this season with wins at No. 2 and 3. Christopher Morrow and Grant Solomon were the first to claim a win for the Crimson, battling to a 6-2 victory on court three. After dropping the decision at No. 1, Jean Thirouin and Andy Zhou clinched the first point of the match when the duo defeated the Spartan's No. 2 slot, 6-4.
Michigan State claimed the next point of the match, securing a 7-5, 6-1 win in the No. 5 spot over Constantin Zoske. Harvard would then go on to earn three consecutive single matches to seal the win.
Freshman Robert Wrzesinski secured the Crimson's second point of the match in extra sets action with a 6-4, 2-6, 6-1 win, while Andy Zhou earned his third win in dual match singles play as he took down the Spartan's No. 1 spot 7-6, 6-2. Senior co-captain Jean Thirouin fell in his first set 4-6 to Michigan State's No. 2 slot, but clinched the match for the Crimson in another thrilling extra sets action play, picking up 6-4 and 6-3 wins.
The Crimson will prepare for the ECAC Championships in New Haven, Conn. Friday, Feb. 16-18.
1. Brett Forman/Jasper Koenen (MSU) def. Kenny Tao/Logan Weber (H), 6-4
2. Jean Thirouin/Andy Zhou (H) def. Michael Dube/Josh Mukherjee (MSU), 6-4
3. Christopher Morrow/Grant Solomon (H) def. Jack Winkler/John Carlin (MSU), 6-2
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
1. Andy Zhou (H) def. Brett Forman (MSU), 7-6, 6-2
2. Jean Thirouin (H) def. Michael Dube (MSU), 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
3. Robert Wrzesinski (H) def. Davis Wong (MSU), 6-4, 2-6, 6-1
4. Grant Solomon (H) vs. Josh Mukherjee (MSU), did not finish
5. John Carlin (MSU) def. Constantin Zoske (H), 7-5, 6-1
6. Logan Weber (H) vs. Jack Winkler (MSU), did not finish
Order of Finish: 5, 3, 1, 2